project involved the challenge of adding a sizable new
wing on to a delicately scaled historic home - a rare
example of an "H" plan. The addition was placed
so that it would not alter the reading of the existing
plan or compete with the original architecture. The
use of the "filled in porch" allowed the mass
of the addition to be reduced as well as offer open
porches adjacent to the kitchen and master bedroom.
The project also included numerous outbuildings such
as pool equipment pavilion and 100 x 200 indoor riding
arena as well as extensive landscape design with garden
elements such as gates, walks, terraces and fountain.
Register of Historic Places 1783, 1787